Zerodha is the innovator of the discount broking model in India, Infect, it brought the concept of discount broking in India and post that the overall dynamics of the stock broking space has seen huge transformation. It offers a broad range of financial products and services including securities brokerage, mutual fund distribution, Commodity trading etc. at low brokerage (zerodha rs 20 per trade).
- Zerodha Charge flat rate of ₹20 per executed order.
- Zerodha does not charge any brokerage on Equity delivery transactions.
- Zerodha provides platform to invest in mutual funds.
- Innovative trading platform.
- No upfront fee, no minimum brokerage and no minimum contract charges.
- No Brokerage on Equity delivery.
- Flat rate for stock trading.
- Own DP services.
- Strong Customer service .
- Good Brokerage & Margin Calculator.
- No margin funding.
- Does not facility to Invest in IPO.
|Year of Incorporation||2010|
|Products||Kite Web, Kite Mobile for Android/iOS and Coin|
|Active Exchange Memberships||NSE, BSE, MCX and NCDEX|
|Total Number of Clients||2,720,797+|
|Total Number of Branches||22|
Zerodha Zerodha is an Indian financial services company (member of NSE, BSE, MCX, MCX-SX) which allow the investor to access Brokerage-free equity investments, retail and institutional broking, currencies and commodities trading, and mutual funds across all platforms of stock market and commodity market.
Zerodha claims that they are the one who has started "India's first discount brokerage" having started the "discount broking" model in India that is popular in developed markets. The said discount broking model avoids variable charges based on the volume and charges flat fees irrespective of volumes therefore favours traders who take large futures and options provisions. A flat fee of a maximum of Rs: 20 are applied to a trade, irrespective of its size and by 2015 the Zerodha became the first company which offers the brokerage and commission free equity investments with no annual maintenance charges.
Zerodha has it's headquarter in Bangalore and also accessible in the major cities across the India. Zerodha have other franchise offices in Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh), Pune (Maharashtra), Ahmadabad (Gujarat), Chennai (Tamil Nadu), Vijayawada (Andhra Pradesh), Hubli (Karnataka), Salem (Tamil Nadu), Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu), Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu) and Kochi (Kerala).
It is also an official member of NSE's consultative committee for growing business. As of January 2017, Zerodha contributes up to 10% of retail trading volumes on Indian stock exchanges and have more than 1Mio active customer which place them in number one position in brokerage industry.
Zerodha became no 1 Stock broker both by the number of active clients and the trading turnover surpassing ICICI direct In January 2020 .
The headquarters of Zerodha is in Bangalore and its other franchise offices are in the major cities such as Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh), Pune (Maharashtra), Ahmadabad (Gujarat), Chennai (Tamil Nadu), Vijayawada (Andhra Pradesh), Hubli (Karnataka), Salem (Tamil Nadu), Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu), Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu) and Kochi (Kerala). Among the innumerable discount brokers in the nation, Zerodha is the firm that went online first. Anyone who would like to open an account online can walk into these franchise offices and get the services needed.
It has won the "Retail brokerage of the year 2018" by National Stock Exchange (NSE), "Retail broker of the year 2017" by Outlook Money and "Entrepreneur of the year (Startup) 2017" by Ernst & Young.
Recently Zerodha has also launched the Mobile app called Zerodha varsity with two modules 'Introduction to stock markets' and 'Technical Analysis', which would provide highly structured and detailed notes about literally everything you need to know about trading and investing. This is available online and is free to access for all.
"Zerodha charges INR 20 per Order execution for using Call & trade facility.Further, INR 9 is charged for each fund transfer through the banks"
Zerodha provides a margin calculator which helps the trader to calculate their margin requirement. It also helps the trader to calculate their margin requirements during intraday.
Zerodha Affiliation Details
- CIN : U67190KA2011PTC058078
- Zerodha NSE Member ID :
- Capital Market (CM) - INB231390627
- Future & Options (F&O) - INF231390627
- Currency Derivatives (CDS) - INE231390627
- Zerodha BSE Member ID :
- Capital Market (CM) - INB011390623
- Future & Options (F&O) - INF011390623
- CDSL: IN-DP-CDSL-00278209
- NSDL: IN-DP-NSDL-11496000
Customers Service options offered by ZERODHA
Zerodha offers multiple communication channel to its clients for using the customers service.
- Phone Number :
- Customer Support / Call & Trade :
- 080 4040 2020
- 080 3310 2020
- Customer Support / Call & Trade :
- Email Support : [email protected]
- Corporate Office :
#153/154 4th Cross Dollars Colony,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Bangalore - 560078
080 4040 2020
Active Client Details Of Zerodha
- 27.2+ lakh clients.
- 22 Branch Office
Zerodha Account Opening Charges 2020
Zerodha charges Rs. 200 for online & Rs. 400 for offline account opening for Trading Account which is the onetime fee charged while initiating your account opening process. Rs. 300 are annual maintenance charges and would get deducted from your account even if you haven not trade for a year by Zerodha to maintain your account.
|Type||Account Opening (One Time)||Annual Maintenance Fees (Yearly)|
|Zerodha Equity Trading Account||Rs.200 for Online and Rs 400 for Offline account Opening||NIL|
|Zerodha Equity & Commodity Trading Account||Rs.300 for Online and Rs 600 for Offline account Opening||NIL|
|Zerodha NRI Trading Account||Rs.500 (Offline account Opening only)||NIL|
Zerodha Account Offering
At Zerodha you can open an Equity & Derivatives Trading account, Demat account and Commodity Trading account.
Equity & Derivatives Trading Account
Zerodha offers only online Trading Accounts, and you will have an option to trade either through a software-based platform, a web-based platform or a mobile application. In case you don't have access to any of the above mention platforms then call and trade is also an option for the trade.
You can trade in Stocks, Futures & Options of Stocks, Indices and Currencies. Annual Maintenance charges for a Trading Account nil incase of Zerodha.
Equity Demat Account
Annual maintenance charge (AMC) for a Demat account at Zerodha is Rs.300 which is collected at the end of the financial year on a pro-rata basis and the Demat account opening charges are Rs.100.
Commodity Trading Account
A Commodity Trading account is what you open with a Trading Member (Commodity Broker as you call him) of recognized Commodity Exchange (MCX, NCDEX etc. in India). There are no Annual Maintenance charges for your Commodity Account at Zerodha and you can trade on MCX. Only futures trade on MCX and hence there is no need of a Demat Account for trading Commodities. At the end of the contract, the Future is cash settled (if you haven'.t already squared off the position) or you can opt for physical delivery (not allowed at most of the online broking firms, including Zerodha).
Important things to remember while opening an account with Zerodha:
- Open only "Trading Account" if: You intend to trade only Futures & Options and/or Currencies, be it Intraday or Positional. Demat account is not required.
- Open "Trading and Demat" if: You intend to take delivery of Stocks (buy and hold stocks overnight) along with trading in Futures & Options and/or Currencies.
- Open "Commodity Trading Account" if: You intend to trade only Commodities.
Opening an Account with Zerodha
The account opening process in India still requires offline processes for completion. We still have to sign physical copy of forms and other documents.
Account opening fees are as follows :
- If you print your T&D forms, Rs 200 for Trading and Rs. 100 for Demat, Total Rs.300
- If you fill out our forms, Rs.300 for Trading and Rs.100 for Demat, Total Rs.400.
- If you opt for priority, Rs.350 for Trading and Rs. 100 for Demat, Total Rs.450.
- AMC charges of Rs.300 are collected at the end of the financial year on a pro-rata basis and the Demat account opening charges are Rs.100
- DP charges are Rs.8 +Rs.5.5 = Rs.13.50 which is charged only on the sell side of the transaction.
The Final Thoughts about Zerodha
Zerodha being the original pioneer of the discount broking model in India and brought the concept of discount broking in our country and that brings the huge transformation in the overall dynamics of stock broking. They have hit a sweet spot in terms the cost and the benefits they offer. Zerodha comes with the affordable price rate, which is an excellent choice for any trader (beginner or an expert). Zerodha provides free Equity trading to beginners. The Zerodha helps you in gaining your knowledge with Varsity, trading QnA so if you are a beginner or experience trader the Zerodha will always take an initiative for being a better investor.
Frequently Asked Questions:
To open an account online, you can sign up using your mobile number on our Zerodha's website. You will receive an OTP to your number and you can get started with the process of opening an account. You will be required to enter your PAN, bank account details and personal details to continue with the sign-up. If you face any difficulties while opening an account online, you could contact their Sales executives alternatively call them on - 080 47192020 / 080 71175337.
Client Master Report (CMR) provides you the details of your DEMAT account along with information such as name, address, DOB, bank account, nominations etc. This certificate is useful in mapping the DEMAT accounts with trading accounts & also for off-market transfer of shares.
The funds would get credited within 24 hours incase a withdrawal request was raised on weekdays.
Withdrawal requests placed on Sunday (or public holidays) take longer than 24 hours to be processed.
Zerodha offers very attractive referral program for their clients where they would be getting a 10% brokerage share and 300 reward points for every referral that opens an account. You can use the reward points in 3 ways as mentioned below:
- You can use them for paying your demat account AMC
- Use them to buy subscriptions to Zerodha platforms and apps
- Donate to an NGO
The minimum payout under the brokerage sharing program has to be Rs.1000, and you should have at least 5 referrals, for you to be able to withdraw your referral earnings.
To redeem your referral earning, you need to follow the below steps
- Log in to Zerodha Console.
- Click on your Zerodha Client ID in the top right.
- Click on 'Rewards and referrals'
- Near 'Your Points' in the top left, click link 'View statement'
- Choose the service and click the redeem button.
- If we go by the number of active clients then Zerodha is better than 5Paisa. Zerodha has 14.14 Lacs active clients whereas 5Paisa has 4.34 Lacs.
- In terms of brokerage, Zerodha provides free delivery trade, whereas 5Paisa charges at Rs 20 per executed order.
- For all other segments Zerodha charges 0.03% or Rs.20/Trade whichever is lower whereas 5Paisa charges Flat Rs.20/Trade whichever is lower.
- 5paisa provides multiple brokerage plans which help you to reduce your brokerage charges by paying monthly upfront fees.
- The major difference is with call & trade charges, Zerodha charges Rs.50 per executed order and 5paisa charges Rs. 100 for the same.
- If we go by the number of active clients then Zerodha is better than Upstox. Zerodha has 14.14 Lacs clients whereas Upstox has 6.2 Lacs active clients.
- In terms of brokerage, both provide free delivery trade.
- As far as other segments are concerned Zerodha for every executed order charges 0.03% or Rs.20/Trade whichever is lower whereas Upstox charges 0.05% or Rs.20/Trade whichever is lower.
- The major difference is with call & trade charges, Zerodha charges Rs.50 per executed order and Upstox charges Rs. 20 only.
Yes, You can Invest mutual funds directly using Zerodha Trading & Demat account.Zerodha provides direct mutual fund investments at absolutely free - Rs. 0 commissions & DP charges.Zerodha Coin is a direct mutual fund platform that lets you buy direct mutual funds online with Zero brokerage/commission, directly from asset management companies.
Yes, Zerodha is as trustworthy as other stock brokers in India. Zerodha is the largest Stockbroker in India in terms of no active clients which proves how many people trust Zerodha and its services. Zerodha is considered safe because it is regulated by India's top-rated regulator, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), and your shareholding remains within your Demat account in electronic form with CDSL & NSDL which are independent to stockbrokers.
A Non-Resident Indian (NRI) can open a Demat & Trading account with Zerodha by linking his/her Non-Resident Ordinary (NRO) or Non-Resident External (NRE) savings bank account. NRIs aren't allowed to trade the currency or commodity markets in India.
If you're moving to the US for a short-term period (6 months), The resident status doesn't change to NRI. Anything over a period of 6 months, you become an NRI and should change the account. You can either convert your existing Trading & DEMAT account to an NRO trading & DEMAT account or close your resident account and open a new NRI account. Zerodha would help you to do that
Zerodha is India's number 1 brokerage firm with >15Lacs active client base. They reached to this positions as :
- Zerodha offers Best trading Platforms in Industry
- Zerodha Offers Brokerage free Delivery Trade
- Zerodha offers Brokerage free Mutual Fund Investment
- Zerodha Offers Low Brokerage of 0.03% or Rs. 20 per executed order, whichever is lower for all other segemnt Like , Intraday , F&O , Currency & Commodity trade
- Zerodha offers NRI Trade at very competitive brokerage of 0.1% OR Rs. 200 per executed order for equity (whichever is lower) and for Rs. 100 per order for F&O trade.
- Zerodha started offering 3in1 account facility just like ICICI Direct, HDFC Securities without any additional charges in collaboration with the help of IDFC First bank.
- Zerodha also offers Investor education & learning platform called Zerodha Varasity completely open and FREE to access for his customers
Yes, you can now apply for IPO using UPI 2.0 as a payment method via Zerodha Console. You can use your UPI ID as a payment option while subscribing for IPO on the National Stock Exchange(NSE) & Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE). You need to enter the bid price, quantity, and UPI ID and ask Zerodha to use UPI ID as the payment option while filling the IPO application.
Zerodha is an online Share broker who is offering most of its services online by using the latest web & mobile Platforms without any human interventions.This makes its service extremely cost-effective and enables Zerodha to offer trading at an ultra-low-cost.
Brokerage charges for Intraday in Zerodha is 0.03% or Rs. 20 per executed order, whichever is lower, irrespective of the number of shares or their value.
For all Indian resident Zerodha charges a brokerage of 0.03% or Rs. 20 per executed order, whichever is lower, irrespective of the number of shares or their value (other than equity delivery trade which is free).Zerodha doesn't have minimum brokerage and maximum brokerage you pay for any transaction is Rs.20 for an order (of any size and in any segment).
Till sometime back Zerodha was not offering the facility of IPO application, As a customer of Zerodha, you supposed to apply for IPOs using the ASBA (Application Supported by Blocked Amount) from your respective bank's net banking portal or by visiting a bank and submitting a physical application with your Zerodha demat account number. SEBI has now made it mandatory for all IPOs to be supported by UPI 2.0. This means that Zerodha can now support IPO applications on our own via Zerodha Console.Now you can use your UPI ID as a payment option while subscribing for IPO on National Stock Exchange(NSE) & Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE).You need to enter the bid price, quantity, and your UPI ID and ask Zerodha to use UPI ID as the payment option while filling the IPO application at Zerodha Console.
- First step is Download the BHIM UPI app or BHIM UPI 2.0 enabled App from Google Play Store and register your UPI ID.
- Login to Zerodha Console (Zerodha Back-office) and go to "Portfolio" menu and select "IPO" option.
- Select the IPO which you want to apply from the list of open issues and Click Apply.
- Once you select an IPO to apply for, you'll see all the details of the offer, like open date, close date, issue size, lot size, etc.
- Enter your UPI ID and click on "verify".
- Place your bid(s):Select the investor type for your application. Place the bids in the multiple of the lot size. If you wish to apply at the cut-off price, simply click on the checkbox next to 'Cutoff-price'. If you want to place a bid at a different price, you can do so by entering a price in the 'Price' field.
- Once you've completed all these steps, click on the checkbox to confirm that you have read the issue size, lot size, and DRHP and click on submit.
- Once you click on submit, you'll receive a Block mandate request on your UPI app.
- You need to enter your UPI pin and your amount would get blocked.
- In the case of Full Allotment-Funds will get debited.
- In case of Partial Allotment-Some Shares will be allocated and partial funds will be unblocked.
- In case of No Allotment-Blocked funds will be unblocked after end date or expiry date.
Zerodha does not provide the details of IPO Allotment on its website. You need to visit the website of the registrar of the IPO (Karvy Link Intime) to check the allotment status. You have to enter your PAN number to check the status.